Thursday, June 2, 2016

"IN THE BEGINNING...

        Hey, everyone! I'll start with just a little about myself, before we get into the juicy stuff.  My name is Adam Roe, I am nineteen years old, I work for a pipe-fitting contractor out of Blue Ash, Ohio.  I have felt the call of missions work in my life, From the age of 13 or so, a call that has only recently been able to develop into a passion.  To call myself a nerd would definitely be an understatement; like who doesn't like Lord of The Rings??  I have been incredibly blessed to be active in working with the local youth group, where I have had opportunities to mentor, love, and care for young people.  So with the niceties out of the way, let's begin.



         I suppose the best place to start is from the beginning.  So after going on a few missions trips out of high school, I decided that it was a definite call on my life, but had no clue where to begin.  So I applied to do an international missions internship. With much anticipation I awaited a reply.  "Could this be it?" I would ask myself. "Could this be the start to something great?"  After what felt like an eternity in itself, the reply came, It came as an apology, an apology of the fact that I did not make the cut.  I was hurt, confused, and so incredibly discouraged, my prayers began to sound like "I thought this is what you wanted for my life! If you want me to do this you are going to have to lead me where you want me!".  In my hurt and discouragement I decided to seek advice, so what better person to go to than the one who inspired you to missions in the first place, Roma Lee Courvoisier.


        I called Roma Lee a few times the following weekend, with no reply. I mentioned this to my father in passing, that Wednesday my dad informs me that Roma Lee was in fact in the hospital, and that he would be visiting her to see how she was doing.  I wanted to go with him but had other things going on at church and therefore went to evening service.  What seemed to be an average night on my end, in reality had God's finger prints all over it.  Once I got home my father, who was visibly excited, wished to sit me down and tell me how his visit went. He was in Roma Lee's hospital room visiting with her and daughter, LeeAnn Courvoisier.  My father continues to tell me that he had stayed to long and was going to be late for church, being the talkative man my father is this statement is no surprise to me.  On his way out a man, and his son came into the room to visit Roma Lee, they were introduced, and all seemed normal. After talking just a few moments it was realized that they knew each other, that man was Steve Mathis, whom my father has not seen in 35 years.  In fact Steve was someone he went to youth group with and had not seen since.  Missions work being Roma Lee's life legacy, of course it was what came up in the conversation, I quickly became a part of the conversation.  To make a long story short my father was given information about this trip from Steve, I applied and was accepted.  This is where a great deal of my excitement for the trip stems from, that the Lord has been weaving this meeting together for 35 years for my benefit.  If anything had been different I would not have  heard of the trip and thus would not be going.


            In spite of my great excitement, spiritual battles have been incredibly prevalent.  When I tell most people this fact, most assume that it means I'm nervous about the trip itself, which is not the case.  As far as the trip is concerned I have had little to no worries, however it is the spiritual battles I have been facing for years that have increased to what feels like ten-fold. Battles such as; anxiety, loneliness, and self-confidence issues.  I would even go as far as to say that my soul feels as if it has blisters.  As long as this does not effect my sensitivity to the Lord's moving, it will all be worthwhile. I suppose, part of my excitement is also the fact satan has fought me tooth and nail, and he has done such for a reason.


          In closing I ask for continued prayers for strength to "keep on the keepin' on".  However, as a personal request I ask that instead of praying for my personal safety, comfort, and happiness that you would instead pray that I would be effectively  used for the glory of God. This is far more important to me than anything else. "For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain."- Philippians 1:21.  As Always I love you all far more than you realize - Adam W. Roe

1 comment:

  1. Epic. This is the kind of story that only God can author. Roma Lee is a saint and there could be no better person for us to follow... of course you know I love my uncle Stephen... I've been jealous of him since I could crawl... he always has the coolest stories. But now we are going to share in this story together... and nothing could he better than that!

    ReplyDelete