Tuesday, June 14, 2016

The Journey Begins

This title may seem obvious in the way of it is the beginning of the trip and most would except to read what has happened so far. And yes that will be some of it, but it also has another meaning. Tonight i had the opportunity to share a part of my testimony with church congregation in a small village in the Rio Dulce region. I came to multiple realizations during this time. A side note real quick, I love metaphors.  As I was sharing with the group each sentence had to be translated by the wonderful Antony (He really is great).  So during the pauses I was able go think alot more about what I was saying and what my surroundings were. Really try it sometime, talk to someone and stop about every ten or fifteen words then continue. Anyway you will need to take into account that the church we were at is only a foundation at this time with about half of a back wall and a stage like formation. The congregation sat in plastic chairs and benches under the stars. I had a plan of what I was going to write about when I started this entry and it transformed as I thought back to those pauses and words I shared. I told the church a part of the same thing i wrote in my first blog post about camp Lebanon and coming to the realization that ministry would be my life. And that was the extent of it. That was my testimony. But this made me think. Could that be it? Is that really my testimony? And the answer is no, well not really. I am this church. The portion I shared is only the strong foundation God has put in place for my. The few stories I have are like the stage and back wall of the church. I am now in the position to build up the walls, windows, doors and the rest of my church. Not only has God provided me with a strong and sturdy foundation but the promise to complete the structure. I am only just beginning in my life of ministry and cannot wait to see what else there is in store for the rest of my church.

The Trip so Far:

There is not a word that could explain how this trip has gone even in just these first three or four days. We were able to go into Antigua and spend time in the city looking through markets and talking with people. Yesterday is when we traveled into the Rio Dulce region to work for a pastor here. After some technical difficulties and prayer over a dvd we were able to get a movie playing in the evening. This morning we traveled to a town about forty minutes away. We had planned on taking the van but instead got to ride in the back of a truck. Yes I said GOT to. It was an amazing experience having thirteen people and fifteen bags of concrete in the back of something like a s10 for forty mins up and down mountains. And the ride back is going to be even better. In the dark. The other students here on this trip are outstanding and we all bring different skills and talents to the group. It has only been three days and we have grown close and by the end of five weeks will be a family. I cannot wait.

Oh and the food is outstanding. (Even sketchy kool-aid) 

Oh continued. The following is the new packing list for Emmaus:
Apple
Bat
Cat
Dog
Elephant
Fridge
Gordida crunch wrap
House
Iguana
Jacket
Kite
Lolipop
Moose
Net
Outfit
Pair
Quetzal
Rugby ball
Strap
Truck
Umbrella
Violin
Whip
Xylophone
Yeti
Zoology student
Avocado
Bum
Coat
Dodo bird
Earbuds
Five dollar lunch sack
Hippie

No comments:

Post a Comment