Wednesday, July 6, 2016

Who? Me?

Today has been one of my, if not my favorite, days on the trip so far. There has been so many things and stories I could have (probably should have) blogged about. But none compare to today.


It started off as what seemed like our average work day. Get up, eat breakfast, go paint a school, eat dinner and go to church. Simple, fun and easy. That was blown out of the water in the first hour of the day. It wasn't just breakfast, it was bacon. (Moment of silence)  Continuing from breakfast I got to lead a short devotion and then we headed off to paint. What we were told would be around an hour to an hour and a half drive. Turned into a three hour trek through a dirt road up a mountain. I loved it. Our driver, Otto, is incredible and I thank him very much for not only his service in driving us, but his friendship. He is a true man of God. Once we got to our destination the painting started. We really have it down to a science now so it did not take long at all for us to get into our painting groove. Lunch time came quickly and again to our surprise and excitement we not only had peanut butter but crunchy peanut butter! This may seem strange to some but I am not be sarcastic at all it truly was a blessing. So now we have had bacon and crunchy peanut butter. How can it get better? We finish the painting and pastor Miguel tell us to change into our swimming suits. We start our journey back down the mountain and end up at a beautiful spot in the river. Not only did the water feel amazing, but some local kids showed up. It soon turned into wrestling eachother off of the waterfall. To all the parents, it was only a few feet tall we are OKAY. The time came to leave and we loaded the truck and van and headed back towards the church we would be attending for the evening. Earlier, Antony, also a amazing friend and our translator, had asked if I would be able to preach the sermon for church in just a few hours. I agreed, not knowing what God had in store for the night. We continued on eventually making it to dinner after minor vehicular troubles. The dinner also proved to be nothing bout outstanding. It did not last long that's for sure. Off to church we headed. The closer we got, the more nervous I became. I had a rough outline in my head of a sermon and a bible verse to go with it  what else do you need? Haha. There was a time of worship then Otto and I were called up. I spoke in English with Otto translating. The first sign of God I saw in this church was that there was standing room only. People were packed in and even some out the back door. I spoke on something I encountered only a few days ago.  At times we don't understand why God wants us to do something, or let go of something but we should follow him regardless. I shared a personal story of mine that worked together with Isaiah 40:27-28. I concluded with an alter call for the church. Thats when God really showed up. People started to come up. They were praying, weeping, and just praising God. His presence was astounding. These people who have almost nothing compared the majority of us are worshiping the Lord with all they have. I had the opportunity to pray with some of them and it was an amazing experience. Afterwards there were many people coming up and saying hello to our group, thank you and so on. I was in the midst of shaking hands with someone when I heard someone say "Pastor! Pastor"  It just rolled out of my mind being there was at least five local pastors in the church. But I heard it again and looked toward the voice. My thought was one of unbelief "Who? Me?"  And he was referring to me. I was still caught off guard as he hugged me and said something I didn't catch. The moment was so profound. I had been called a pastor. I have known for several years now that I have been called into ministry, but for another pastor to refer to me as that left me in awe of God. It was like he was saying "This is my plan for you"

I cannot begin to describe how many blessings I have received on this trip. We now only have nine days left. It has flown by. But I am positive without a doubt God will continue to move and work in these final days.

No comments:

Post a Comment